Ultimate-BMW.com :: BMW forums, BMW parts, BMW accessories, BMW performance parts  
Ultimate-BMW.com :: BMW forums, BMW parts, BMW accessories, BMW performance parts
Ultimate-BMW.com ::
The Ultimate Resource for Ultimate Driving Machines

Main Site Menu 1.

Ultimate-BMW.com Site Homepage
BMW Forums Homepage
BMW Knowledgebase
BMW Forums Members Photos
BMW Forums Members Spotlights
BMW Spectacles and Movies

Ultimate-BMW.com News

Ulitmate-BMW.com Sponsors
Advertise with Ultimate-BMW.com
Contact Ultimate-BMW.com
Google

Go Back   Ultimate-BMW.com :: BMW forums, BMW parts, BMW accessories, BMW performance parts > BMW General Topics > BMW General Discussions

Old 03-01-2006, 03:10   #1
Stu_NZ

Default E36 sagging suspension

Hi all,

Let me explain situation last night my eye caught something amiss when looking at the right rear wheel arch area.

The tyre seemed to be more obscured by the top of the guard near the rear by the fuel flap area. (right hand drive). Investigating it further I discovered that when compared to the left rear wheel arch there was a definite difference in height.

I had just had a tow bar installed and checked that out first and realised it does'nt involve removing any components anywhere near the suspension.

I dropped in to my mechanic, a bloody top bloke too. He had seen this before and had several E36's in his workshop at the time. he measure the height from ground to wheel arch on each corner of my car and several others and discovered that two of the others had the same fault.

I should mention car handling is sweet and the suspension is motorsport equipped.

There is a difference in height of about 15mm right is lower than left side.

He is going to use me as a guinea pig and swap the springs around in a couple of weeks when it can be fitted in.

My real question is this: What would cause this and has anyone else noticed this fault?

I wonder if it is manufacturing defect? Car has travelled 750000kms and is 1996 323i 4 door model. Wheels are 16's ..

Cheers.

Stu
Old 03-10-2006, 20:31   #2
ElSupremo
Administrator

ElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond repute

Holy crap! Someone is posting on this forum! I thought I was stranded here alone!

It is normally the passenger side on Bimmers that sits lower. The theory is that BMW engineered this in to compensate for when the driver sat in the car. I've read many posts about this, but never that it sat lower on the drivers side.

I'd be interested to know what you find out.
ElSupremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 23:27   #3
Stu_NZ

Cool

I was beginning to think this site had died judging by lack of posts.

It goes in on Tuesday for a test of swapping various bits around.

It will be free of charge if I don't like the results. I found it very intriguing that there were others in teh workshop with the same appearance. Tried looking for a web site to ask BMW engineers direct about this. No luck though.

I'll post the experiment results up when done.

Cheers for the reply .. nice to know at one person read it. lol
Old 03-18-2006, 21:12   #4
ElSupremo
Administrator

ElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_NZ
I was beginning to think this site had died judging by lack of posts.

It goes in on Tuesday for a test of swapping various bits around.

It will be free of charge if I don't like the results. I found it very intriguing that there were others in teh workshop with the same appearance. Tried looking for a web site to ask BMW engineers direct about this. No luck though.

I'll post the experiment results up when done.

Cheers for the reply .. nice to know at one person read it. lol
You'll find a lot more action at bimmerforums.com, dtmpower.net, and even tehdriven.com
Old 03-25-2006, 13:17   #5
KO-JPK
FORUM SPONSOR

KO-JPK is on a distinguished road

http://www.ultimate-bmw.com/u-forum/...?p=427#post427

you guys may want to check out this thread if replacing your M3's suspension.

KO Performance
www.koperformance.com
email - sales@koperformance.com
Miami office - 786-264-1684

The quickest responses are obtained through email and phone calls, as opposed to PMs.
KO-JPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 21:07   #6
ElSupremo
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO-JPK
http://www.ultimate-bmw.com/u-forum/...?p=427#post427

you guys may want to check out this thread if replacing your M3's suspension.
It's so hard to navigate around KOs website, though. Example: I tried a lot of links but could not find that special anywhere. I tried looking for RSMs that I will be needing, but there isn't hardly anything under BMW suspension. Just 3 kits, I think. And there are a LOT of links that just go nowhere except to 'company information'. I didn't see anything for sale on any of the 'Specials' links.
Old 04-08-2006, 19:39   #7
KO-JPK
FORUM SPONSOR

KO-JPK is on a distinguished road

hey El Suprimo,

You are definatley right...

We are WAY behind on our website.

We have a number of specials that we offer only on the forums and have not put on our own website yet because our system right now requires us to hand code each page.

We are in the process of getting e-commerce on our site now (finally after 5 years, eh?) and swithing our website into a combimation of hand made informational pages and database driven "catalogue" pages like you find on the uber big, but not so personal car parts sites...

The advantage to the former is that humans like them, and so do search engines, the advantage to the latter is that you can offer more products faster on your website... we're going to combine the two approaches over time...

RSMs? no problem... looking for the JT-designs ones?

Just simply send me an email and I'll email you a quote ASAP. Until we make a page for each part we carry, that's the quickest method I can offer you to getting you what you want as fast as possible.

We carry pretty much every OEM and performance part and brand on the market... most of the time, we can offer the best prices on those parts as well! (current exception for example is the Bilstein Coil-overs... We can NOT win on price for those compared to the lowest priced guys out there although we aren't too far off).

KO Performance
www.koperformance.com
email - sales@koperformance.com
Miami office - 786-264-1684

The quickest responses are obtained through email and phone calls, as opposed to PMs.
KO-JPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 00:21   #8
ElSupremo
Administrator

I'll be getting ahold of you shortly. I should be putting the suspension on my daughters car soon, and I want to change the RSM's at that time.
Old 08-07-2009, 22:03   #9
anisamy2
Rookie

anisamy2 is on a distinguished road

I think this is a common problem because I feel the same thing but not all time.