Ultimate-BMW.com :: BMW forums, BMW parts, BMW accessories, BMW performance parts  
Ultimate-BMW.com :: BMW forums, BMW parts, BMW accessories, BMW performance parts
Ultimate-BMW.com ::
The Ultimate Resource for Ultimate Driving Machines

Main Site Menu 1.

Ultimate-BMW.com Site Homepage
BMW Forums Homepage
BMW Knowledgebase
BMW Forums Members Photos
BMW Forums Members Spotlights
BMW Spectacles and Movies

Ultimate-BMW.com News

Ulitmate-BMW.com Sponsors
Advertise with Ultimate-BMW.com
Contact Ultimate-BMW.com
Google

Go Back   Ultimate-BMW.com :: BMW forums, BMW parts, BMW accessories, BMW performance parts > BMW General Topics > BMW General Discussions

Old 07-01-2007, 16:32   #1
MCDONNMJ
Rookie

MCDONNMJ is on a distinguished road
Default ECU & misfire problem

Hi, Does anybody have a suggestion for a problem that I have on a '97 328i Cabriolet (E36, M52 engine).
After the car warms up I get a single misfire and the ECU seems to switch to "safe mode" resulting in the engine running as though it is choked. It does not misfire again until as follows, it is reset.
The problem is easily reset by turning the iginition off, starting the engine and driving normally. It will then midfire and return to "choked mode".

I have replace both lambda sensors (front) but cannot finda any post cat sensors as described for post '96 cars. I'm sure that it is OBDII as I cannot get the codes to work from the accelerator method.

Any suggestions would be accepted with regards the problem and also why the system does not seem to comply with the OBD change at or around '96.

Martin
MCDONNMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:33   #2
ElSupremo
Administrator

ElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond repute

It would definately be OBD-II after '95, unless someone converted it to OBD-I.
With OBD-II you should have two O2 sensors in the exhaust manifolds, and two post-cat.
I'd get the codes pulled, and I'd also recommend testing your coil packs to see if you've got one that's gone bad on you.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:03   #3
MCDONNMJ
Rookie

MCDONNMJ is on a distinguished road
Question ECU & misfire problem - CONFUSED

Thanks for coming in so quickly.

I've been under the car determined to identify post cat sensors but could find no sensors, sockets, wires or anything that suggested that they'd ever been there. The exhaust has a bridging pipe between left and right, between the small silencer and cat. Is this correct for the later models do you know?

I have been unable to find an OBD plug under the dash as described in several publications and info on the web again pointing for this to be OBDI.

The car is correct in terms of all documentation so I'm confused.

Thanks

Martin
MCDONNMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 18:39   #4
ElSupremo
Administrator

ElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond reputeElSupremo has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a diagram of your exhaust sytem: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...53&hg=18&fg=10

It only shows one O2 sensor, but it shows 2 bungs.

The OBD plug is in your engine bay. Here's an article that shows where the plug is, and what it looks like: http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...rvice_Lamp.htm
Old 08-07-2009, 22:02   #5
anisamy2
Rookie

anisamy2 is on a distinguished road

What is OBD-II? I have never heard of it.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:52   #6
Mark at Quarry motors
Rookie

Mark at Quarry motors is on a distinguished road

it depends what country you are in some versions will have post cat lambdas and some dont
you need to get a diagnostic scan done this problem usually occurs when the e.c.u has reached a fuelling control limit and cannot richen or lean off the fuel mixture any further this can be caused by a number of things such as air leaks ,air flow meter problems ect.
Mark at Quarry motors is offline   Reply With Quote